Industry in Naoussa
We may discourse upon Greek industry in the modern sense of the term after the second half of the 19th century. Naoussa has a rich past of developed handcrafts and small industry from even before the Revolution and the town's destruction in 1822. Most significant were gunsmiths, silversmiths, knife-makers, dyers, etc. but above all textiles (woolen materials-'shajak', silks and linen and mostly face towels). These activities allowed the towns people to accumulate wealth and aided the development of commerce. Handcrafted products were sold by local merchants not only within the Empire, but also abroad (Vienna, Budapest, Moscow, Odessa, Germany, etc), where they had correspondents.
After the destruction of the city by the Turks, these activities soon resurface. In 1874-1875 the first "major" industry for cotton processing is established, with machinery originating from Europe and imported by liberated Greece. This is the "Loggos - Kirtsis - Tourpalis" factory, which constitutes the first industry, in the contemporary sense of the term, created in Macedonia and perhaps in the whole Balkan region. Up to that time, the waters of the Arapitsa River - which spring from the Agios Nicholaos area, cut across Naoussa and subsequently irrigate the plain, were used only to irrigate cultivated land and to operate watermills and water-presses inside the town. The waters of the Arapitsa were called "White Coal" and the industrial city of Naoussa "Manchester of the Balkans".
In the early 20th century, four large flourmills with European machinery and another 26 smaller ones were in operation. Sawmills, a tannery, sesame oil presses, a silk mill, a rice refinery and a pottery were also in operation. For the exploitation of the mountain's rich forest resources, special installations for the processing of lumber were created on the spot from 1913-1921, including sawmills, a local train network of the Decoville type and an elevated transport system for the transfer of processed lumber to the plain. Many buildings belonging to this cosmogony are today preserved at Naoussa.