Traditional Neighbourhoods, Buildings of Interest
At Naoussa, the older houses form certain more clustered groups, which are located in the following neighbourhoods: Alonia, a lay residential area, and Pouliana and Batania, where we find buildings of a more urban nature and somewhat larger in general. Some of them provide special areas for professional - handicraft activity (mills, water presses, sesame oil presses, etc.) as well as large storage areas.
Two of the parish churches date back to the 19th century (Agios Georgios-Saint George and Panagia-Madonna), while the rest are more recent and were built in place of older buildings. The Church of Agios Georgios, a three-aisled basilica with a more recent dome, is full of murals on all its surfaces while its screen is ornamented with ten large moveable icons. The Church of Panagia, also a three-aisled basilica, has a beautiful wood-carven screen and a ceiling with large intricate panels. Finally, the Church of Timios Prodromos (Mikros Prodromos) which does not belong to a parish but is a 'metochi' to the homonymous monastery, was built in 1715 and is the only monument of the city, which according to tradition survived the destruction of 1822 and stands out for its elevated vestibule, its wooden screen and older icons.
A few more significant, but isolated older public buildings mostly belonging to the early 20th century are found scattered around town. Recorded as such are the school buildings which now accommodate the 1st and 2nd Elementary Schools, the 3rd Elementary School (Galakeia, next to the small temple of the Patron Saint of the City, Osios-Blessed Theophanis), the 4th Elementary School (Sefertzeion) and the Lappeion Gymnasium, all built mostly through donation by wealthy Greeks from abroad. Furthermore, the belfry of Agios Georgios Church (Saint George, 1869), the Clock Tower (1895), the belfry of the Metamorphose Church (Transfiguration, 1912) and the smaller belfry of Epapante Church (Candlemass, 1915), built from chiselled porous stone, as well as the four, towering, circular factory chimneys, with visible brickwork.
The wonderful municipal park, with its lakes and deeply-shaded lanes is connected, through the sidewalks on the banks of the Arapitsa River, with the area of sacrifice of the women of Naoussa in 1822,the great Stoubani waterfall. On this route the visitor encounters the old workshops and factories, which unfortunately have ceased to operate, and their remnants, now just monuments to the industrial history of our country, awaiting new uses which will reincorporate them into the life of the city.