From the 19th to the 20th Century
The holocaust of the town marks the end of an important part of the history of Naoussa. But it also comprises, with the resettlement of the city's surviving population as well as another seventy Turkish families, the beginning of a new period which finally led to the formulation of the town's contemporary profile. The 19th century largely determined the further development of Naoussa, and mainly of its economic sector (commerce, large industry) naturally affecting all other facets of town life (social, educational, etc.)
In the early 20th century Naoussa was an important centre for the Macedonian struggle against Bulgarian aggressiveness (1904-1908). Liberated from Ottoman domination by military operations of the Balkan Wars on October 17th, 1912, the town receives, after the Treaty of Lorraine in 1923, a large number of Black Sea (Pontic) and Asia Minor refugees, who are incorporated into the town's population and contribute to its further development.
Now, as an integral part of the Greek State, Naoussa continues its brilliant economic development with the establishment of yet more industrial facilities, the introduction of systematic arboriculture, the systemization of foreign trade and the improvement, in general, of the living conditions of its residents.
During the German Occupation, the people of Naoussa actively participate in the National Resistance. In May of 1944, at Prodromos Monastery freedom fighters resisted German forces. In the unequal and cruel battle which ensued, almost all were killed -their names are inscribed at the marble monument which has since been erected at the monastery. In January of 1949, a large section of the town is destroyed in the Civil War which followed the termination of World War II.